Rules of the Road
The Make Miles Matter Rides are designed to be fun rides, not a race. There will be no road closures, so all riders are expected to follow the Rules of the Road! In addition to local laws regarding traffic impediment, please follow these general rules.
- HELMET USE IS REQUIRED—please wear your helmet level on your head and keep your chinstrap buckled.
- REMEMBER THAT THIS EVENT IS TAKING PLACE ON OPEN ROADS. Motorized traffic will be present. Ride safely.
- BE PREDICTABLE. Group riding requires more attention to predictability than riding alone. Other riders expect you to continue straight ahead at a constant speed unless you indicate differently.
- COMMUNICATE WITH OTHER RIDERS AROUND YOU—call out “on your left” when passing, alert other riders of hazards in the road (eg. “hole, crack, glass” etc); call out “car back” when appropriate.
- USE HAND SIGNALS AND SPEAK UP WHEN YOU ARE CHANGING POSITION OR TURNING.
- MAINTAIN GAPS BETWEEN BICYCLES, AND PLEASE RIDE SINGLE FILE ESPECIALLY WHEN CARS ARE PRESENT. Long lines of bikes can be difficult to pass.
- ONLY PASS ON THE LEFT. Only pass when it is safe to do so and does not create a traffic hazard. Please alert and give other bicyclists three feet when passing them. Wait for a safe place to pass other riders. Strong riders should remember this event is not a race or training ride, and be patient when encountering slower riders on hills and tight roads.
- OBEY ALL TRAFFIC SIGNS AND SIGNALS. Stop at stop signs and lights. Remember—this is not a closed course. Motorized traffic WILL be present.
- OBEY COURSE STAFF AND VOLUNTEERS.
- IF YOU STOP, PLEASE GET COMPLETELY OFF THE ROAD. Move onto the grass/dirt on the edge of road to make room for other riders and traffic
- PLEASE BE COURTEOUS AND FRIENDLY TO ALL OTHER ROAD USERS. If you have a negative incident, get as much info as possible and report it to a Coalition staff member or event volunteer.
Saturday, May 11
Saturday, June 22
Saturday, August 17
Details to come...
Join us for an ALL WOMEN'S Ride along one of the 2019 Colorado Classic Routes.